Loading…

The long suffering blog of the Impossimal creators...

Click the button to explore our amusing titbits or visit our main site using the links above
find me some juicy titbits

Invention Test

Something was rattling at the bottom of my swimming bag, thrusting my hand in the pouch revealed an assortment of odd objects I didn’t recollect packing with my trunks. It was my combination lock that had somehow managed to spontaneously combust over night to become a 3D jigsaw.

It’s set the theme for today, I’m back model making for my last Lost Impossimal so after fiddling with the lock and understanding how it works I decided to crack on and start to build a new lighting rig.

Here’s the start, this will be turned into a miniature television, just got a few things to hack into it including this jumble of wires.

Some old LED lights I saved after their transformer burned out, I knew they would come in useful. Chopping a few off I checked that they still worked.

Yay! Blutac and a nine volt battery and we are away. So today I will be constructing another scene so I can get exactly the right atmosphere for the Impossimals. I have used this method a couple of times when lighting has been required, this model I made last year.

Part of a cross between a machine called The Turk and a fortune telling machine similar to the one in The movie Big. The painting required moody lighting so I constructed this in a shoe box, the final painting reflected this moody look and allowed me to get some real depth into it.

One of the biggest pieces though was this, the scene for the return of the Sherlock Sidewinder and his most deadly adversary. I’m only showing a small portion but I built an entire Victorian street complete with railings, pavement and road, bridge and of course lit lampposts which you can see here. The resulting glow cast its light across walls and using a tight triple perspective I constructed a scene that places you in the street, the feel of three dimensions is quite uncanny but time consuming to paint. On the ground is three hundred cobbles, each painted individually and lit from two directions, one with a warm gas light glow the other with a blue cast from the mist under the bridge.

This is a daylight detail shot, measurements for the house were taken from old Victorian building plans and the bridge was also modelled from accurate measurements. The whole thing is made from balsa wood, card, paper and lots of hot glue. When finished the complete set was five foot long and was only used for one painting before being dismantled and eventually turned into this.

Which brings me back round to my lighting rig project for today to add some much needed shadows into the scene. Better get cracking, it’s not going to make itself!

 

Leave a Reply